pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Panon Windows?

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Panon Windows?
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:09:52 +1100

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 01:47:09 pm Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Historically, freedom of choice in religion was vanishingly rare. It
> *still* is vanishingly rare in many parts of the world, particularly
> the Islamic world, where proselytising other religions is a crime,
> and converting away from Islam is often treated as a capital offense.

Er, I should qualify that before somebody corrects me.

Proselytising other religions is a crime in *some* parts of the Islamic
world, but not necessarily all of it. For instance, I know it is
prohibited in Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Algeria, Syria, Pakistan and Qatar,
and almost certainly others. Even in places which officially allow
proselytising, like Kuwait and Malaysia, there may be all sorts of
official and unofficial ways of discouraging it, usually by prohibiting
or limiting the right of Muslims to convert. As I said, in many places
it is a crime punishable by fines, jail and in many places, including
Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Yemen, death.

The Muslims[1] are hardly alone: proselytising is also illegal in China.
They don't shoot you though, they just lock you up for five years
working 15 hour days making cheap goods for sale in America. (I'm not
joking. Part of the reason Chinese-made goods are so cheap is that
wages are depressed by free labour from prisoners.)

[1] Not that Islam is a unified group by any means, any more than "the
Christians" or "the Jews" are a unified group.

--
Steven D'Aprano