pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: hierarchical view?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: hierarchical view?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:36:09 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:24:30 +0000 as excerpted:

> Pan does not implement the by-subject "pseudo-threading" that some
> clients have, because just because the subject is the same doesn't mean
> it's the same thread.  Pan always uses the references header, so if it's
> incorrect, well...

So yeah, I'm replying to myself...  I talk to myself too!

(Hey, back probably a couple decades ago at the singles track for Jesus
Northwest, the speaker pointed out that there's a continuum, talks (out
loud) to God, talks to angels, talks to him/herself, argues with him/
herself, loses those arguements!  Looks like I'm safely in the middle!
=:^)

Anyway...  Also note that the reverse of the above, just because the
subject is different does not make it a different thread, is also true.
Subthreads can and often do migrate to different topics (as has been amply
demonstrated here, recently), and therefore, if someone bothers to change
it, have different subjects, while still being the same overall thread.
Again, the reference header both allows this to work, and allows someone
to deliberately chose to create a new thread, if desired.

OTOH, there are folks who just pick a message to a mailing list or
newsgroup, hit reply and change the subject, to post what they believe is
a new thread... apparently because they can't be bothered to properly
address a /real/ new post.  These folks are of course the infamous "thread
hijackers" that appear from time to time, hijacking a thread for their own
topic (as opposed to a sub-thread naturally wandering to a different
topic), who on most FLOSS lists/groups at least, generally get asked to
stop hijacking, tho usually along with an answer, or simply pointing out
that the post might get lost in the larger thread, if it's a big one, and
to try again with a separate thread if no one with an answer comes along
right away.