pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] PAR File Support ??

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] PAR File Support ??
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 03:27:57 +0000 (UTC)

Ron Johnson posted on Thu, 02 Jun 2011 18:31:28 -0500 as excerpted:

> On 06/02/2011 05:39 PM, Keith Richie wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> I use this simple shell script, and associate par2 files with it.
>
> Within ${GUI_FILE_MANAGER}?
>

>> #!/bin/sh xterm -hold -e par2repair "$1"
>>
>> You would need par2cmdline

I haven't done binaries for some years now (just seems no time, probably
because I spend so much time on the various lists and following mostly
Linux news... and since the ISP killed service, I'd probably end up buying
a block account somewhere, not a terrible amount of money but does
disincentivize getting back into it just `cause I'm bored for a few
hours ), but back in the day...

... Yes, I had something similar to that commandline, with an association
that... well, I should still have the *.desktop files around, let me see...

Some of the associations were user-created, this was back in the kde3 day,
and I've lost the rest of the association (filename pattern), but...

A file named par2repair.desktop contains:

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=par2repair %f
InitialPreference=2
MimeType=application/x-kdeuser1
Name=par2repair
Terminal=true
TerminalOptions=--noclose
Type=Application

So that ran in a terminal with an option to stay open after it finished so
I could see the output, with an executed command of "par2repair %f" and a
user-created MimeType of application/x-kdeuser1.

That was in a a .hidden subdir of $KDE_HOME/share/applnk/.  IIRC
the .hidden subdir was kde's way of hiding the entries so they didn't
appear in the menu structure, back then, since the same structure carried
both menu items and "hidden" association-only entries.

Along with that and a couple similar entries, I have two that DO still
show up as valid, registered associations, under application/x-par2 with
the registered filename patterns *.PAR2 and *.par2, apparently from the
same applnk/.hidden/*.desktop set of files.  (The filename patterns are
apparently either registered for that mimetype based on an installed
package, or based on importing my kde3 config, I don't know which, but
they don't appear in the *.desktop files themselves.)

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=par2repair %f
InitialPreference=2
MimeType=application/x-par2
Name=par2repair
Terminal=true
TerminalOptions=--noclose
Type=Application

... and...

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=par2verify %f
InitialPreference=2
MimeType=application/x-par2
Name=par2verify
Terminal=true
TerminalOptions=--noclose
Type=Application

par2verify and par2repair...

How one would register that with gnome or whatever I've no idea, but I'm
confident I could register or adjust the registration in kde4 without
difficulty, if needed (and in fact just looked up the two remaining valid
entries using par2 in a search, just now).