pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Google groups users breaking threads

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Google groups users breaking threads
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 01:03:23 +0000 (UTC)

Derek Turner posted on Fri, 10 Jun 2011 18:06:24 +0100 as excerpted:

> A recent annoyance is the new interface at google groups always starting
> a new thread.
>
> Is there any way to add a scoring rule that will ignore anyone using
> that interface, please? (I have googled to no avail)

There should be, but it's likely to apply only after you've downloaded
the message, because the required header isn't likely to be in the
overviews/headers as delivered by your server, that pan uses for pre-
download scoring (unless the Message-IDs have a common bit you can filter
on, as they might).

Normally, the overviews downloaded to populate the article list have only
a rather limited set of headers -- those necessary to display the article
in the list (subject/from/newsgroups/size), the one necessary for proper
threading (references), if cross-posted, one listing the per-server
article sequence number for each group in ordered to track the message in
all groups (x-ref), and the one used to ID the message and often to
request it (message-ID).

If, by looking at the message-id headers (toggle view headers on and
compare them), you can find a common element in the google-groups posts
that's unlikely to false-positive on other posts, you can use that for
scoring.  (You'll need to edit the scorefile manually, but you can make
it easy by creating a references score, saving that, then editing that
entry in the scorefile to message-id instead of references.)

If not, KHaley mentioned recently that current pan now has the ability to
score on ALL headers, NOT just those in the overview.  I've not tried it
yet, and there's no GUI for it, you'll have to directly edit the scorefile
as appropriate, but it should work, with the caveat above about having to
download the message in ordered to get the full headers, of course.

Also, I'm not sure whether that feature made it into pan 0.134 or not.
It may be that you must compile from git sources in ordered to get it (or
get it from someone that did).

Here's pan's git URL (lostcoder is KHaley's handle, KHaley being pan's
primary developer since CKerr lost interest and asked for someone else to
take over, some years ago).

git://github.com/lostcoder/pan2.git

And here's some documentation on the scorefile format pan uses, which
happens to be pretty close to that of slrn:

http://www.slrn.org/docs/score.txt