pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Compiling question for KHaley and Heinrich (and eve

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Compiling question for KHaley and Heinrich (and everybody)
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 12:50:30 +0200

On Fri 01 Jul 2011 at 15:37:07 -0700, walt wrote:
> Any hints from you professionals for us wannabe programmers?

In my experience, as long as you do only things that were automated by
the auto*-tools (automake, autoconf, etc), it will automatically work.

As soon as you do something more, you need to start taking attention.
Often, you just need to add some ${srcdir} to your filenames, or
${builddir}, or a variant of that.

For example, this is from a Makefile.am from a project at work. There
is a header file that is generated during configure, so it is created in
the build directory, but it should be found when compiling:

INCLUDES = -I$(top_srcdir)/liblexicon/src \
           -I$(top_builddir)/libabase/src \
           -I$(top_srcdir)/libabase/src \
           address@hidden@

A good tool for developers to check if they have made their Makefiles
sufficiently flexible, they can do "make distcheck". This will check
exactly the scenario above, and also for example if "make clean" cleans
up sufficiently.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- There's no point being grown-up if you
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- can't be childish sometimes. -The 4th Doctor