pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Latest Pan and Tin's ~/.newsrc

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Latest Pan and Tin's ~/.newsrc
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:15:39 +0000 (UTC)

Phillip Pi posted on Fri, 25 Nov 2011 01:17:50 -0800 as excerpted:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 03:04:11AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
>>
>> > How do I have Pan use my Tin's ~/.newsrc? I cannot seem to find the
>> > settings. I want both programs to share the same configurations.
>>
>> Once you setup a news server in pan, you can edit the servers.xml file
>> and point the newsrc entry for that server anywhere you want.
>>
>> Here, I simply rename the files to reflect the news server name (so for
>> example, newsrc.gmane, for the gmane.org list2news server I use to get
>> my mailing lists including this one as newsgroups), but you can edit
>> the whole path and point it where you want, if necessary.
>>
>> So just point it at ~/.newsrc, and assuming you have only the one
>> server, you should be fine.  (Unfortunately, the newsrc format appears
>> to be single-server only, so pan uses multiple files for multiple
>> servers. Don't try to point more than one server at the same file or
>> you WILL have issues! =8^0  An exception would be servers such as the
>> European and USian servers that some NSPs run, that coordinate their
>> available groups and article sequence numbering, in which case using
>> the same newsrc for all article-sequence-number coordinated servers
>> should be just fine.)
>
> Sweet! Wait, why are our passwords visible in texts in there?
> Shouldn't it be encrypted? :(
>
> Anyways, I edited this XML to use ~/.newsrc that Tin uses with read
> groups marked and stuff. However, Pan still downloaded old headers even
> though I told only new headers? I didn't have this problem in old
> v0.14.2.91. I am currently using Pan v0.133 from a brand new Debian's
> stable installation (it doesn't have the old Pan version to go back to).
> :(

You had pan shut down when you edited servers.xml, right?

As for passwords, mainstream pan doesn't have encryption support anyway,
so they're plain-text over the wire in any case, so there's little reason
to encrypt or even obfuscate them in the config, either.

As for pan versions, I'd not exactly call 0.133 "latest" by /any/
stretch.  That's still the last version Charles put out several years
ago, and there have been quite some bug fixes and updates, since.  The
latest official version is 0.135, from this summer, and many users here
choose to build from sources, either from khaley's repo (which is
basically upstream for the official version, now), or from hmueller's
judgefudge repo (he's the most active dev at present and that's where all
the nice new experimental features including binary uploading, ssl
support, and optional score-based automated actions (say automated delete
on ignored, mark-read on <0, download on watched), have been or are being
developed.

And AFAIK, 0.14.x may still build, if your gcc, glib and gtk+ are old
enough, at least.  But it's what, about a half-decade old now, ancient in
computer terms, and I know the newer C++ version has had a number of
patches to build against newer system libs and with newer gcc, so it's
likely you'd need some patching to get the old C version to build on a
reasonably modern system, as well.  But it should be possible, at least
as long as gtk2 stays around.  When everything switches to gtk3 and the
distros start dumping gtk2, then the old C version will be about as
useful as old pan-0.11, the gnome-1 version, is now, but until then, it
should still build, given some patience and a few patches, if you're
motivated enough.