pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan crashes on every reply sent.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan crashes on every reply sent.
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 12:26:20 +0000 (UTC)

Frederic Bezies posted on Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:23:54 +0100 as excerpted:

> Hello.
>
> Very annoying bug using last git commit available.
>
> When I try to post a reply, pan crashes.
>
> Here is the message I get when I launch it from terminal :
>
> address@hidden src]$ terminate called after throwing an instance of
> 'std::length_error'
>    what():  basic_string::resize
>
> [1]+  Abandon                 pan
>
> Any idea ?

Well, if you'd have used pan to post this (using gmane.org's list2news
service, as I do, or whatever), the pan user-agent header might have
given us the relevant info on git branch and commit number, etc, but you
didn't, and you didn't post that info, so I get to ask... but at least
you DID post that it's git, not the release version.

Since you didn't say, you're presumably using the the official gnome repo,
not khaley/lostcoder's github repo, or someone else's there.  But master
branch, or the new testing branch that hmueller's running that was
previously on github as the judgefudge repo (and before that as the
imhotep82 repo).

Many regulars here (including me) run the hmueller experimental/testing
branch, since that's where the current action and new goodies seem to be,
but it /is/ pretty raw and /does/ break sometimes.  And since you didn't
say, the default would presumably be master branch, except that so many
here run experimental...  So there's no real assumable default at this
point.

And of course, the git commit would be useful as well.

FWIW as I said, I run hmueller's branch, now official gnome upstream
testing branch, but I've not updated in a few days.  The git-commit is as
I said in the user-agent header.  It sort of includes branch as well, but
at least as it shows up in my headers, that's the local bare-branch that
portage pulls using my customized pan ebuild, so while the occurrance of
portage in the string is a strong indication that I use gentoo, and the
path leaks some information about my local directory layout, it doesn't
say anything about the upstream branch I'm pulling from as that feature
is actually intended to do.

But with the caveat that I run that testing branch and haven't pulled in
a few days so am almost certainly behind, I've not seen any such
behavior, here.  That might help narrow down the commit range in which
the problem occurs if you use gnome/testing as well, or it might not, as
it could just as easily be a difference in library version, or if you're
on 32-bit, maybe it only happens there, since I'm running amd64/x86_64.