pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan systray behavior

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan systray behavior
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 23:11:25 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Wed, 03 Oct 2012 10:39:06 +0000 as excerpted:

> Duncan posted on Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:24:30 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> Heinrich Müller posted on Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:23:16 +0200 as excerpted:

>>> I'm with you. Fix pushed to master. Could you check if it fits your
>>> needs?
>>
>> Definitely better.  I'll use it for a bit and see how it goes...
>
> I spoke too soon.  Startup is good now; pan starts in the tray as it
> should, but...
>
> There's no way to get it BACK to the tray (only).

As of 0becc9f this is working *MUCH* better now, thanks! =:^)

With both tray options checked, pan now both starts in the tray and
closes to the tray.  Closing the window (window-manager close function)
works as expected, closing the window while pan continues running in the
tray, while actual quit (from the file menu or trayicon menu) quits pan.

And minimize/iconize works as expected too, minimizing the window while
keeping it in the window list (not closing it, the distinction between
window minimize and window close is maintained =:^).

That's the best systray pan behavior yet. It's actually working quite
reliably, now! =:^)

> Clicking the tray icon used to close the pan main window, but ONLY if
> that pan main window was active.  It SHOULD close the window ALL the
> time, whether pan's main window is active or not.  It NOW doesn't seem
> to do ANYTHING, whether the window's active or not.

This bit doesn't work yet.  Clicking on the trayicon (with pan's window
shown) still appears to do nothing.  Ideally it would have the same
effect as the window-manager close-window function, closing the pan main
window to the tray.  (This /almost/ worked before, working when pan's
main window was active, but it didn't work when some other window was
active.)

However, with the rest of close to tray working fine, I won't gripe too
much about this.  If it's a case of the perfect being the enemy of the
good, leaving it as-is is fine!

One more purely cosmetic labeling quibble, the preferences option says
minimize to tray, but that's not technically correct.  Petr's the UI text-
string expert so ask him, but claws-mails' "Close to tray" would seem
more appropriate to me.

(Technically, "Close window to tray" is arguably more accurate, but to my
ear it sounds horribly awkward compared to the simple "Close to tray".
But Petr's definitely the local authority on UI strings and there may in
fact be a standard string with standard translations that will make that
job easier, so let him decide.)