pan-users

[Pan-users] pan for Windows crashes when reading large newsgroup

From: K Shen
Subject: [Pan-users] pan for Windows crashes when reading large newsgroup
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 07:08:57 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I am using pan newsreader for Windows to read news for several years now, but in the past month or so, I  have started to see regular crashes of pan when reading a newgroup with a large number of articles. I have been reading this newsgroup without such problems previously, and this newsgroup always had high traffic, although I don't know if the traffic have increased recently, or if some other reason is responsible for the crash.

The crashes seem to happen most often when reading in the headers, but it also happens sometime when I am reading the articles, normally when I click on the pan window -- I get a popup informing me that Pan newsreader has stopped working, and the fault module name is libcairo-2.dll. After a few crashes, I have noticed that the crash happens when the memory used by pan.exe is around 1,800,000KB. This seems to be the case both when reading in the headers, or if the headers are read in without crashing, then when the memory used by pan.exe increase to about 1,800,000KB.

I was using the stable 0.135 version of pan when the crash started. I then updated pan to 0.139, but am still getting the crashes.

I have just had another crash, while reading in the headers. The number of headers read in when the crash happend was 2396625, and the
In the most recent crash, which happened while reading in the headers, the number of articles read in was 2396625, and the Commit memory for pan.exe was 1,896,692KB.

I have been using a 32 bit x86 Windows XP laptop with 2G of real memory up to 3-4 months ago, which was replaced by a 64 bit x86-64 Windows 7 laptop with 4G of real memory. This was about 1-2 months before I noticed the crash problem, and I don't know if this new configuration is important for the crashes (I have not seen the crashes on the old laptop).

Does anyone know if the crash is caused by the amount of memory used/number of headers? Is there any known reason why the crash seem to happen when the memory used by the process is around 1.8-1.9G?

I can read in a limited number of headers so that the crash does not happen (in fact I am doing so now, but the number of days I seem to be able to read in seem to be getting smaller, again I don't know if this is because the traffic on the newsgroup is increasing). Is there anyway I can selectively read in certain headers (I have always used the author/subject search/filter to filter the headers, as the traffic is too large for me to check every article -- but I assume all the headers are read in and take up memory). Currently I am using the "Get the last n days' headers", which means I cannot read older articles. Is there anyway I can read in the headers for N days, but not the most recent days, but starting from M days ago, so that I can read the older articles?

Thanks in advance for any information/help!

--Kish Shen