pan-users

[Pan-users] Bad authentication segfaults pan

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Bad authentication segfaults pan
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:36:20 +0000 (UTC)

So I finally did that $50 1TB block thing from Astraweb I've been talking
about on and off.  The problem is that they had MUCH stricter password
settings (limited to 12 alphanumeric chars, despite a FAQ entry saying be
sure it's not easily guessed, thus stimulating an original password of
something like 20 chars including symbols) after I signed up than the
ones they actually let me sign up with, so I was getting invalid password
errors when I tried to actually connect.

But it took me quite some time to figure out what was going on, as I was
trying to download the group list, and pan was segfaulting on the invalid
password result, not giving it a chance to be logged or anything!  Since
I don't update the group list very often, and probably others don't
either, I initially thought a segfault had either slipped into that.

But I remembered the ngrep mentioned here a few days ago and took it for
a spin, and the problem was pretty obvious when I saw the 502 invalid
password error that pan couldn't give me as it was busy segfaulting!

So, please fix the authentication so it doesn't segfault when it gets a
502 auth invalid error code.  Thanks.

(Meanwhile, fixing that static mutex thing would be nice, too.  I'm
dumbly patching out the static for now, but I guess that's the wrong
patch from what I've read right here, and I was actually wondering if
something with that might have been triggering the crash, before I found
out what it was.)

Now that I have a reasonable binary paid account... with authentication
even, thus the problem above... I can actually exercise more of git-pan's
new code. =:^)