pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan for windows max connections...

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan for windows max connections...
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 22:50:31 +0000 (UTC)

John Wendel posted on Sat, 28 Dec 2013 11:53:10 -0800 as excerpted:

> Good advice. I've found that 4 connections can max out my 50Mb
> connection.
> Of course it depends on your ISP and NSP, so YMMV. Depending on your
> NSP, you can run more than one copy of PAN, the configuration is left as
> an exercise for the student (clone your .pan2 directory with a new name
> and appropriate changes).

(And set the PANHOME/PAN_HOME environmental var, IDR whether it gets the
underline tho or not.)

I know someone who had his binary machine, his text groups on another
machine, and his wife's machine with a few sewing groups, etc.  This is
where NSP features such as 50 connections come in handy, not so much to
max out a connection since it normally takes far fewer connections (under
10, sometimes four will do it, sometimes a few more) for that, but so the
binary machine can run the connections necessary to max it out when
nothing else is going on, and there's still connections left for other
machines or profiles on the same machine, without forcing the binary
machine/profile to use fewer connections to accommodate that when there's
bandwidth free, even tho the binary machine/profile might get a bit less
than maxed bandwidth when the other machines are actually actively
working too.

(This of course assumes all machines are working thru NAPT on the same
IPv4 IP address, or the same personal IPv6 net, since NSPs do normally
restrict connections to a single one.)