pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Problems building Pan from git.

From: Christian Dysthe
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Problems building Pan from git.
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 13:14:09 -0600

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Christian Dysthe posted on Fri, 17 Jan 2014 11:11:37 -0600 as excerpted:
>

> Two notes:
>
> 1) In general, building with gtk2 is still recommended, and AFAIK what
> most distros (including my own, gentoo) do.  As you found, pan built on
> gtk3 does build and work in general, but it's not as well tested, and
> people who try it often post here with various corner-case issues such as
> the one you just reported.
>
> We'd need someone (preferrably more than one, using pan different ways,
> with one person having a strong light text on dark backgrounds pref as I
> do, and one with the apparently more common light/white background, dark
> text, pref) with good developer and patching skills, who is familiar
> enough with gtk3 to trace down the remaining usability issues and propose
> patches, before pan's gtk3 build is considered ready for prime-time.
>
> 2) I'm not sure how applicable this is to a gtk3 build, but as I said my
> prefs are light on dark, which means I have nearly all pan's color prefs
> set non-default.
>
> I found I had to set text color (bottom of colors tab in pan prefs, under
> other text), or I couldn't read some things due to light-on-light or dark-
> on-dark (apparently pan was taking either foreground or background
> settings from my standard gtk2 prefs, I don't remember which, but not
> both, so they were both near the same color and I couldn't read).
>
> The trouble with that, however, is that while I can at least read the
> text now, that setting unfortunately overrides some of the others, and
> I'm not a coder so I can't easily go in and read/hack around until I
> figure out why and suggest a patch to fix it properly.
>
> In particular, once other text color is set, body pane quoted text
> settings get ignored, with all quoted text appearing in the "other text"
> color, so I no longer have color-differentiated quotes. =:^(
>

> So try setting "other text, text color" (and background).  If that works
> on gtk3, good, tho you might have the quote color override problem I'm
> seeing.  If it doesn't, try building with gtk2.  You should be able to
> set it then, but you probably /will/ have the quote color override
> problem I'm seeing, since that's what I'm using.

Thank you for your help. I did do a gtk2 build which turns out to have
the same problem. I did change the colors according to your
instructions and it works but I am not able to get any color
separation in the body to work at all. It's all black regardless of
settings. Everything else works great, so I hope these text color
issues can be sorted out.