pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] firefox links

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] firefox links
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 14:16:50 +0000 (UTC)

thufir posted on Mon, 20 Jan 2014 08:38:17 +0000 as excerpted:

> in preferences, pan is set to use:
>
> <string name='browser-mode' value='gnome'/>
> <string name='cache-file-extension' value='msg'/>
> <string name='custom-browser' value='firefox'/>
> <string name='custom-mailer' value='thunderbird'/>
>
> in preferences, pan is set to use GNOME preferences.  However, clicking
> on links doesn't work.  What's the custom command for firefox?

Hmm.  I use kde and with pan set to use kde's browser, it has always
worked correctly -- including making the transition from konqueror to
firefox when I switched default browsers in kde.

But setting custom mode and simply setting "firefox" (without the quotes)
in the text-box works just fine here, as well.

Actually, I had apparently set custom/firefox at some point anyway, as
when I went to check, that's what it was set at, so I had to switch it
back to kde and check that still worked, then back to custom, just to be
sure, but it worked either way.

You can also use any of the firefox options it lists if run in a terminal
window as firefox --help.  I just tried firefox -new-tab , and that works
as expected, instead of opening a new window, which is my normal firefox
preference.

If you have firefox set to open a new tab (instead of a new window) by
default, presumably you could use firefox -new-window , if preferred for
links opened from pan.

firefox -new-instance doesn't exactly do what I wanted or expected, but
it "works", if opening a dialog saying ... "Firefox is already running,
but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the
existing Firefox process, or restart your system." ... can be considered
"working".  (IOW, firefox itself doesn't like running multiple firefox
processes, and only opens the dialog saying don't do it that way, but the
switch itself obviously worked.  One wonders why the option is there at
all, in that case, but whatever.)  Same with -no-remote, except that in
/that/ case, if it's the first instance and thus runs, no other firefox
can be opened since it'll pop up the "not responding" dialog instead.

firefox -browser is interesting.  It seems to open up a new window with
the home page (in my case the new-tab page with a selection of previously
closed pages), as WELL as a new window with the desired URL.

If none of that works for you, then try a different X-based app just to
see if /it/ opens properly.  Trying konsole here, it opens, just to the
shell prompt, however.  Trying kwrite, it opens, with the linked page
opened as a text file to be edited.  konsole -e links works quite well,
opening the link in the links text browser in konsole, and konsole -e
lynx does the same with lynx.

If nothing so much as opens an X-window at all, then it's likely that the
DISPLAY environmental variable isn't being exported from pan properly,
perhaps because it is set for pan but not as exportable.  We can tackle
that in a followup, but do answer this question in that case: How do you
start pan?  From a menu entry, or ???.