pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ubuntu update appears to break combining multi-part mess

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ubuntu update appears to break combining multi-part messages
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 10:14:47 +0000 (UTC)

S. Mann posted on Sat, 12 Apr 2014 03:53:50 -0400 as excerpted:

> I can file a bug report if needed. Curious if anyone else can confirm
> this new issue that occurred after installing some ubuntu updates(noted
> below) on April 9th?
>
> Ubuntu 12.04 (tested w/ Ubuntu supplied Pan 0.136 and also 0.139
> installed from ppa:klaus-vormweg/pan)
>
> Right click on a post with a binary attachment > Save Article.  Normally
> this will download all the parts, combine them, decode them and save
> them to your preferred location.  The new broken behavior is that the
> post will be downloaded but never combined or decoded.  The binary will
> be saved as individual text files.
>
> Oddly enough, if I get an .nzb for the same post from the same server
> the file WILL be correctly downloaded, combined and decoded. Also, image
> posts are still correctly retrieved and displayed inline. It's only
> brokenly saving binaries as individual text files if you attempt to save
> the article directly from within a groups article list.

I believe it's actually something you did... and forgot.  Either that or
perhaps it got reset to default some other way.  Luckily it should be
easy to undo. =:^)

At least here (with git-pan, but IIRC it has been this way for years),
it's actually...

Save Articles...

That ellipsis (...) is important, as it indicates that activating that
function will lead to a dialog.

In the resulting "Save Articles" dialog you can select the path to save
to, the priority...

**AND** ... THE ACTION.

If I don't miss my guess, you have that action set to "Save text" instead
of "Save attachments", probably because you saved one post as text and
then forgot about it.  Then the next time you went to save attachments,
you did what you ordinarily do, hitting save on that dialog because
you've seen it many times before, and didn't realize it was set to save
text instead of save attachments.

Either that or for some reason it reset itself to save text, which might
be the default if the file with that preference stored somehow got
corrupted.

Anyway, resetting it to save attachments should work, and I /think/ pan
saves the last setting you used, so once reset it should stay that way
until the next time you save text or the option tracking gets somehow
lost once again.