pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] sorting headers by date.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] sorting headers by date.
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 02:09:32 +0000 (UTC)

Hendrik Boom posted on Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:22:38 +0000 as excerpted:

> Pan is happy to combine the various posts into threads,and I can even
> get it so sort the list of threads in the header pane in various orders.
> But when it sorts by date, whether i ascending or descending order, the
> date is uses for a thread is the date of the oldest post in the thread.
>
> Is it possible to get it to sort by the date of the youngest post in the
> thread?

While to my knowledge the direct answer is no, not possible, there's a
workaround that I use when I need that functionality.

There's a "thread headers" toggle under view, header pane.  Switch that
off temporarily and you'll get individual messages sorted by whatever
your sort mode is.

By then sorting by date, you can easily find the youngest posts or those
posted in a particular time period, regardless of the thread they're in.
Once you find what you're looking for, you can select the post and toggle
threading back on, so your selected post now appears in thread context
once again. =:^)

The same technique can of course be used for search by author, etc.

And that combined with another feature, secondary sort, you can do things
like sort individual author's posts by date, etc.  To do this you'd sort
by date, then by author, so author becomes the primary sort pattern, but
for each author, individual messages are still sorted by the last sort
pattern, date in this case.  That allows such tricks as finding the last
post by a particular author, or all their posts from a particular time
period, regardless of the thread.  Again, once you've found a particular
post, you can select it and rethread, so it appears in proper thread
context. =:^)

As one example of practical use, I recently used that technique to figure
out that a particular poster in one group I'm in has a strong two-month
posting pattern, reasonably consistent over several years.  He'll be out
of the group with few if any messages for two months, then will reply to
dozens of threads in a day or two, then be out for a couple months again,
then reply to a whole bunch in a day again...

(This particular poster, Lars, happens to be the originator and head
admin of the gmane.org list2news service.  He's a very busy man and there
are other gmane admins for various tasks, but it's his show and for
instance it seems to be him alone responsible for the block lists.
People can end up on the block list for accidentally pulling too many
messages, perhaps they had a misconfigured news client or something, and
he's the only one that can get them unblocked.  He's usually pretty good
about doing so if asked nicely and people who are unblocked aren't
normally repeat violators, but two months really can seem like an
eternity if you were depending on gmane for your lists, as many people
including me, for this list too, do.  Tho people can still use the web
interface if they have to, and of course people can still subscribe to
the lists directly if they have to, but for people used to the
convenience of a news client as well as keeping their list traffic
separate from their email traffic, both options are poor longer-term
substitutes for the gmane's list2news service!  But it's a free service
with Lars running the show, and if it takes him a couple months to
respond and unblock you, that's simply what it takes.  I've been able to
use the two-month pattern data to at least give people some idea how long
it could take to get unblocked, tho of course it depends when in that
cycle they got blocked in the first place.)

Hope that solves your problem! =:^)