pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How best to get PAN running on anything I own - I'm at a

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How best to get PAN running on anything I own - I'm at a dead end
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 04:00:34 +0000 (UTC)

Alan Taylor posted on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 22:11:24 -0400 as excerpted:

> @Max S.  I have Pan 0.140 running no trouble on windows 8.1 64 bit with
> 3G of ram.  When I run the "about" part of "help" it says: Chocolate
> Salty Balls (Unknown; i686-pc-mingw32).  (I had 4G ram but one stick
> went bad. That worked fine too.)
>
> Before I installed Win 8.1 64 I had Win 8.1 32 bit (2G ram) and Pan ran
> fine then.  I don't know for sure what version Pan was but I expect it
> was the 32-bit version of Pan 0.140.  So don't give up.  Now why you're
> having trouble I don't know.  What are the symptoms?
>
> On 22 January 2015 at 18:27, Max S.
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi - I had enjoyed PAN for years until my Windows XP system (on a
>> dual-boot Mac) died. I have since bought a Win-dedicated machine with
>> 8.1,
>> and had no luck in getting the Windows port of PAN to run on Win 8.1.
>>
>> My Macs are fairly old, by computer hardware standards. One runs OS
>> 10.10.1, the other 10.6.8.  From what I glean on the web, getting
>> Ubuntu to run on my “11,1” 10.10.1 Mac in a dual boot doesn’t like like
>> a very good thing at all.

Several points...

1) First, a netiquette reminder to all.

What you do in private mail is up to you, but please observe standard
netiquette at least on the pan list.  As we're all pan users I guess we
all know what pan strongly encourages and I suppose you at least don't
object /too/ strongly or you'd be using some other news client.  So (a)
plain text only, no HTML please, and (b) top quote, bottom reply in
context, it makes things SO much easier to keep in context in further