pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ssl/tls certificate handling?

From: Petr Kovar
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ssl/tls certificate handling?
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 00:53:25 +0100

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 04:56:10 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Petr Kovar posted on Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:57:18 +0100 as excerpted:
>
> > On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 01:19:12 +0100 Detlef Graef
> > <address@hidden>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I will send the patch to Petr Kovar, I hope he will commit it to the
> >> git repository.
> >
> > I've just pushed Detlef's patch as
> > 6b1b345bffce88437989f7f96c85b8c657413ae3.
> >
> > Please test. :)
>
> I just pulled and haven't actually built yet, so haven't run-tested.  But
> I do have a comment on ca5c4b2ff, the strings edit, specifically the
> first chunk of that two-chunk patch (outdented some here for posting
> without triggering wrapping problems in pan):
>

> -        g_warning("The certificate hasn't got a known issuer.\n");
> +        g_warning("The certificate has not got a known issuer.\n");
>

> "Have got" and the negative "have not got" are apparently fine in British
> English, but sound odd in more formal American English, tho they're
> allowed in informal situations.  It is for this reason that AOL (America
> Online) was criticized for years for their "You've got mail!" voice
> notification, tho arguably it worked as intended for them, giving a
> slightly informal and thus friendly tone to the notification.
>
> Anyway, "understood just fine, but sounds odd" pretty well sums up my
> feelings about the above.  Here's some alternatives that I'm somewhat
> more comfortable with.  Perhaps other users can say whether they
> experience the same "sounds odd" feeling with it or not, and whether
> these suggestions are any better for them, if so.
>
> The certificate does not have a known issuer.
>
> The certificate has no known issuer.

Good catch, this is why feedback from native speakers is so important in
text editing. I've just changed that string per your suggestion. Also
wanted to say that I always appreciate your insightful comments!

> YMMV, but I've seen a number of other string edits of yours with similar
> effect, removing informalisms, etc, over the years, and tho in general

I know that editing strings too often is not really appreciated by
translators, for instance, but when I see an informalism, I just can't help
myself. :)

Cheers,
pk