pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Port 119 blocked - no newsgroup access!

From: Maurice
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Port 119 blocked - no newsgroup access!
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 18:31:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 21 May 2015 12:51:17 +0000, I wrote:

> Last week I was in a French (Aix-en-Provence) hotel whose WiFi access
> was blocking Port 119, so could not use Pan to access newsgroups.

  Struck similar situation in Funchal (Madeira) last week.

So tried Port 563 and that seemed to work - at first.
  Eventually gave up and restored to Port 119 with a view to postponing
further attempts to when back in UK, only to find that it would
sometimes work with 119!

My conclusion was that they were throttling NNTP access rather than
banning it, though in my case the result was the same!

Anyway, the  hotel room WiFi was so pathetically slow and unreliable
(dropping out every 5 minutes at times) I just stuck to occasional
email gathering....

I noticed the wall also had ethernet sockets, and the room
brochure said "Wired internet in all rooms", but when I enquired at
reception was told "Ah, that used to be; now it's WiFi only"!

(The only hotel I have found with working ethernet sockets was the
Hotel Weiss near Trier, Germany.)

/\/\aurice