pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.140 Don't bother it won't compile on less than *buntu

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.140 Don't bother it won't compile on less than *buntu 16.04 or better
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 02:49:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:10:48 +0000, DLSauers wrote:

> If you want TLS or well, pretty much any thing to work in Pan 0.140,
> don't waste your time.
>
> It WONT compile on anything less than 16.04.
>
> I've tried to find some path to overcome:
>
> GNUtls 2.8 in 14.04 - BBZZT! 3.4 requires Some nettlelib and ONLY 3.1
> not the 4 in 14.04 - So FAIL
>
> So basically that ends it.. since without TLS in 2016, its useless..
>
> Stick to the 0.139 PPA DEB, call it a day!
>
> Now to find a way to get back the 3 days I spent on this...

So, is this a Pan issue or a GNUtls issue?

I note that Ubuntu 14.04LTS has an EOL date of April 2019 so someone at Ubuntu
should be dealing with
keeping the packages up to date, including both Pan and GNUtls.  Or does LTS
just mean the actual distro
and whatever packages are available, potentially "stuck" at whenever it was
last compiled?

Either way, if things have moved on with some apps to make them work with later
OS and apps/libraries
and can't be kept compatible with older OS, then maybe it's time to move on.

--
Climate Change may be raising the sea levels, but the gene pool
seems to be drying up.