pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Building Recipe for Pan 0.143 for *bunutu 14.04, 16.04

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Building Recipe for Pan 0.143 for *bunutu 14.04, 16.04
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 05:09:02 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Mon, 11 Dec 2017 02:39:49 +0000 as excerpted:

> On a binary distro, the easiest way to get /most/ necessary packages,
> including the *-dev packages, installed, is to rebuild the shipped
> version, using the existing sources package (on rpm-based distros, the
> srpm, I've no idea what debian-based calls 'em).  That will of course
> install everything required to build it, so after that, all you'll need
> to do is install the optional packages for options it didn't enable
> (like ssl/tls here), and possibly, newer versions of dependencies if
> you're trying to build a newer version of the package that requires
> them.

... I know this due to my experience on mandrake back in the day, where
double-digit steps of "dependency hell" when I resolved all the errors
manually, "magically disappeared" when I started telling rpm to install
everything needed to rebuild the existing package from the srpm.  (There
was a command that only installed deps, without actually rebuilding the
package from the srpm itself.)

As I said, that did leave any "updated requirements", where the minimal
lib version was bumped beyond what the distro shipped, to resolve, along
with any optional deps that the distro package maintainer decided not to
enable, but that was minor, perhaps 10% of the deps I had been previously
resolving one at a time, manually, perhaps 5% if I didn't actually
upgrade, just stuck with the same version and enabled the desired options
not enabled in the packaged version.  A 90-95% reduction in required
manual resolution is a *good* thing, and can /easily/ change the project
from "too big to bother, gave up and will be less likely to try the next
one", to "well /that/ wasn't so bad, what about this other one?"! =:^)