pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan 0.143 crashes as Arch Linux

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan 0.143 crashes as Arch Linux
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 04:31:11 +0000 (UTC)

arnuld posted on Tue, 02 Jan 2018 16:41:44 +0530 as excerpted:

>> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 3:26 PM, Duncan
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> arnuld posted on Tue, 02 Jan 2018 08:39:00 +0530 as excerpted:
>
>> ... Oh! <light dawns>
>>
>> I believe you read the comment wrong.  It's _not_ saying "require gmime
>> 3", it's saying don't enable gmime 3.0 by default even if installed,
>> require enabling it to actually get it (because as I said it's still
>> broken, but people might want to specifically enable it for testing
>> anyway).
>>
>> IOW, you do *NOT* want to enable gmime3 if you want a working pan, you
>> want it disabled!!
>
> Ohkay ..... I really read it opposite ;)

Indeed.  Interesting how the human mind interprets stuff narrowly to fit
its pre-conceived conclusions.  My dad was a teacher (now retired), and
one thing I've inherited from him that he said about teaching, while I
get the same reward from newsgroups/mailinglists, is the intense
enjoyment of discovery from trying to teach something, and suddenly
realizing the other person has a viewpoint/interpretation that you'd have
never even been aware of had you not been trying to convey an idea, and
in the process been forced to meet the ideas of another head-on.

The process /really/ reinforces the lesson, often for both sides but I've
found far more so on the teacher/idea-conveyor side, as they're forced to
see it from both sides while the "conveyee" often only needs and gets a
relatively incremental adjustment, compared to the *leap* the "conveyor"
is forced to deal with as the other viewpoint, unnatural to the conveyor
on their own, suddenly and forcefully enters the picture.

That /definitely/ happened here.  There's no /way/ it would have
naturally occurred to me that the entirely opposite viewpoint could be a
naturally occurring interpretation of the same thing... until I was
forced by the facts of the thread to adjust to the newly revealed
viewpoint.

I was asking myself, "... But how on earth can what he's saying make
sense?"... and then all of a sudden my viewpoint changed to match yours
and it did!

<light dawns>, indeed!

>> Note that I consider myself /far/ from an expert in autotools or pre-
>> build configuration in general.  Never-the-less, between reading the
>> configure help output, checking what the existing gentoo ebuilds do for
>> existing options, and reading git log and git show and/or patches
>> directly when I need to trace a known change, I can often-to-usually
>> get the config I want/need after a bit of experimentation...
>
> Ah. .. Dude, I always used to do that kind of R&D. That led me to
> Gentoo, I built gentoo with different configurations on same machine (I
> guess 12 times). At one time, I know the entire Gentoo Handbook  by
> heart. I could just write it myself. I have even built SOURCEMAGE and
> Lunar too. Yeah, DragonFlyBSD too :) . These days I use Arch and no
> Desktop of course. I use GUI all the time but that is through tiling
> Window Manager called StumpWM, which I came to know about from
> ratpoison. Have even configured Fvwm too (and half a dozen other WMs) by
> hand written scripts.
>
> I will stick to no gmime for now.

Well, it's not /no/ gmime, it's no gmime30.  It still requires gmime2x,
which as the patch reveals, it had been checking for only if gmime30
wasn't found, but now checks by default, unless gmime30 is /specifically/
requested.