pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan over SSH tunnel?

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan over SSH tunnel?
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 21:19:23 +0100

On Wed 03 Jan 2018 at 09:08:49 +0000, David Melik wrote:
> No; Gmane altered what I wrote: I did not write 'user-7kjJCDAAYRIdnm
> address@hidden,' but (with spaces in between) it was 'ssh -D
> 9999 -p 22 user @ news . sdf . org.'
>
> This page describes it: http://sdf.org/?tutorials/SSH-SDF

Aha. Ssh's -D option sets up a SOCKS proxy. That is different from
simple port forwarding with -L. I would recommend the method with -L as
has been suggested.

To get the -D variant to work, you would need to teach Pan to use
SOCKS, which it doesn't do by itself. There is a tool called Soxify to
override network functions in programs, so that they use SOCKS. But I
have never tried it so I can't comment on how reliable it might be.

Note that the page you refer to does set up its example application to
use SOCKS. I expect that the "Connection Settings" window it shows all
the way at the bottom only works for selected applications, not
generally.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.