pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan 0.143 crashes as Arch Linux

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan 0.143 crashes as Arch Linux
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 02:29:36 +0000 (UTC)

Ruben Safir posted on Wed, 03 Jan 2018 01:20:28 -0500 as excerpted:

> I got it to compile, but it just wont run
> address@hidden ~]$ pan
> pan: error while loading shared libraries:
> libenchant.so.1: cannot open shared object file:
> No such file or directory

1) What does...

ldd /usr/bin/pan | grep enchant

... return?  (Adjust the path as appropriate.)

Here, with a "reverse usr merge" of everything normally in /usr to / via
a /usr -> . symlink, I use this command, with this output:

ldd /bin/pan | grep enchant
        libenchant.so.1 => /lib64/libenchant.so.1 (0xsome-hex-number)

On your system it should presumably be /usr/lib64/libenchant.so.1, or
similar.  But it's likely to not have a path since it doesn't seem to
find the file.

2) What does your package manager tell you about your enchant or
libenchant package and its *.so* files?  Here, using gentoo, I use the
equery tool (other distros will have other package manager database query
tools, use what's appropriate for your distro and package manager) like
so:

equery belongs libenchant.so.1
app-text/enchant-1.6.1 (/usr/lib64/libenchant.so.1 -> libenchant.so.1.6.1)

So it's the enchant package, and the file is actually a symlink to the
actual major.minor.micro library version.  Let's see what equery says
about the *.so* files in that package.

equery -N files enchant | grep 'enchant\.so.*'
/usr/lib64/libenchant.so -> libenchant.so.1.6.1
/usr/lib64/libenchant.so.1 -> libenchant.so.1.6.1
/usr/lib64/libenchant.so.1.6.1

So you see the symlinks.  Is one of them missing in your case?  As I
said, what does the package (including the dev package if split, gentoo
is build-from-source so it doesn't bother splitting off the build-time
stuff into separate package from the runtime stuff, like most binary
distros do).

There's also an ldcache that caches the paths to libraries.  Perhaps
yours needs refreshed.  Unfortunately I don't know enough about how that
works to talk about it except in the gentoo sense, where I just know the
command to run and that it updates the ldcache among other things, not
the mechanism for actually doing that update.