pan-users

[Pan-users] A question about scorefile usage

From: Tom Tanner
Subject: [Pan-users] A question about scorefile usage
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 20:45:27 +0000

Recently while looking at something else, I discovered some peculiarities about the way the scorefile is handled.

The documentation refers to the slrn scorefile format (which may be found here: https://slrn.info/docs/score.txt - it has moved from where the rebelbase pages point to). Now, there are a couple of things it says about rules here:

Firstly, on the score keyword itself:

The `Score' keyword is used to assign a score to the header.
  If it is followed by a single colon, the score is only given if all
  tests are passed (logical AND); two colons indicate that the score
  should be awarded if any of the tests are passed (logical OR)

On the subject of grouping rules, the slrn documentation says:

 Lines enclosed in curly braces are grouped; the initial brace is
  followed by one or two colons that indicate whether only one (`::') or
  all of the lines (`:') inside the group need to match for the group to
  pass.

However, the pan implementation behaves like this:

What I'd like to do is to fix these up so that they behave like the slrn documentation. (One : -> all rules must match to apply the score, two :s -> if any rule matches, apply the score). However, I'm posting this because it might break peoples existing rules (manually created ones only).

Feedback would be appreciated.