pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] no header columns again

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] no header columns again
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 06:27:10 -0000 (UTC)

Tom Tanner via Pan-users posted on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:44:34 +0100 as
excerpted:

> On 24/07/2023 14:49, Duncan wrote:

>> The problem has to do with gtk icon-caching.  When they're cached, as
>> they are in most cases, no problem.  But when a gtk-related update
>> invalidates that cache, the icons aren't fetched correctly the first
>> time (it's not waiting for the cache update), so the returned width is
>> zero.  That causes the column-width calculations to go screwy.
>>
> Not sure about this, as I use windows, and keep building my own pan, but
> shouldn't one run
>
> |gtk-update-icon-cache|
>
> when you update? Maybe that should be in the pan installer?

That indeed looks like it could help and is a great pointer, yes.

Looking at the manpage there's a number of options that look interesting to
explore in connection with this bug.  Maybe put a cache-update call in my
pan starter script to replace all that prefs-patching hackery?

(FWIW, despite my long-term interest in gtk-based pan, in general I'm more
familiar with kde/qt than gnome/gtk.  So I either didn't know about gtk-
update-icon-cache or at least hadn't made the now-obvious association. But
it sure looks related now that you've pointed me at it, so great pointer,
indeed!)