pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] no longer can view sent articles

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] no longer can view sent articles
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 07:30:49 -0000 (UTC)

David Chmelik posted on Mon, 1 Jan 2024 02:57:11 -0000 (UTC) as excerpted:

> I can no longer can view sent articles selecting them just for many
> minutes only shows blank message pane (no headers, nothing).  Where can
> I find these in ~/.pan2 in case I need to review?

So pan's sent folder is managed as a (pseudo-)group.

Just as with other groups, messages in it are actually file-named by
message-id (which pan assigns before posting and saving) and stored in
article-cache, with selected information (message-id, author...) indexed
in the groups/<group-name> file.

While this makes pan's code simpler as the same message-management code-
path is used -- no special treatment or code-path, it does have at least
three drawbacks (tho 2 and 3 can be alternatively viewed as flip sides of
the same one depending on your configured cache size and behavior):

Drawback 1: Because sent is a pseudo-group messages can't actually be
downloaded -- they're (apparently) indexed once upon pan startup, so
messages posted in the current pan session do not appear, only those from
previous sessions.

Unfortunately that makes it difficult to refer to a message you just sent
in another posted in the same session (and possibly for previous sessions
as well, see drawback #3), at least by looking it up in sent messages.
=:^(  Fortunately, if your server is processing posted messages fast
enough a work around is doing a new headers-fetch so the message appears
from the news server in the targeted newsgroup, allowing you to view it
that way.

Drawback 2: Because pan stores by message-id, when you view your own
messages on the targeted newsgroup, it's reasonably likely (at least
initially, see below) that pan will still have the message as you sent it
in-cache and will show it, instead of the message that everyone else would
see, with headers such as x-trace, etc, that your news server likely
adds.  In addition to missing those, if there was a transmission error
you're unlikely to see it (again, at least initially), because you're
seeing the copy cached locally as the message was sent, not the copy the
server got (with the error) that you might have /thought/ you were
downloading to check.

(On the flip side, if the message wasn't posted for some reason, it's
likely possible to restart pan so it shows up in sent messages, or worst-
case dig it out of cache directly, allowing you to copy out the content,
edit it if necessary to fix the error the prevented the posting, and
resend in another message.  But again, the caveat is the next drawback...)

Drawback 3: Because pan only shows last-session and earlier posts in sent,
if you have a small enough cache configured and enough activity that pan
is actively expiring current-session posts from its cache, those messages
may be expired from cache before the session is done, so they never get
indexed on restart.

Here note that pan's default cache size is pretty small, particularly if
you're doing binaries at all, so the chances of expiry before sent
messages ever get indexed on restart, with the default cache size, unless
you're doing text only, are relatively high.

(OTOH, I always increase my cache size dramatically, for my text-instance
pan to several gigs such that I'm effectively archiving stuff for years
(servers are set not to expire messages either), back to when I started
posting to lists like the pan list and then gmane in 2002 for some groups/
lists.  For my binary instance (which I don't use regularly at all, but
it's there, separately configured) I have a cache size of tens of gigs,
suitable to keep small binaries like images, small videos, and mp3s cached
locally for several sessions.  (Typically I first sample, then erase
obvious garbage and download to cache what's interesting, before a final
local-only processing pass that saves off permanently or deletes if I
decide it's not interesting enough to save after all, meaning a cache
that's too small and expires before I get to this step doesn't work.)  If
I did large-binaries like high resolution full-length movies or TV series
and/or full size ISO images, at least with the same strategy I use for
smaller binaries, I'd probably want a cache size in the hundreds of gigs
if not tibibytes... and would accordingly need a news server plan other
than my unexpiring 1 TB block account that I've not had to renew in
years.)

Similarly, if you have preferences > behavior > article cache > clear
article cache on shutdown, checked... I *believe* sent will always appear
empty (except in the case of a crash when it didn't get to clear the
cache) because the article cache will be emptied before pan ever reindexes
sent on startup.  (And pan's per-server message expiry options probably
come into play here as well.)

This is likely what you're seeing, either pan emptying cache on shutdown
if you have that option checked, so there's never any sent items to index
on restart, or such a small cache that pan is expiring them before
shutdown and restart, with the same nothing-there-to-index on restart
result.

On the flip side, if it's not in-cache but did get posted, that means if
you download the message from the group you posted it to, you'll get what
everyone else does, complete with headers added by your server, any in-
transit posting errors that resulted in the message not being what you
intended, etc.  But you'll have to do that via the group posted to, not
sent messages, which likely never got to index it.