pandora-users

Re: [Pandora] pandora without threads?

From: Simon Patarin
Subject: Re: [Pandora] pandora without threads?
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:24:19 +0100 (CET)

> Is the proper way to compile pandora-current without thread support in order
> to make it more easy to debug, I tried it using --without-thread configure's
> flag but failed with an error I have attached
>
> Am I doing right?
> Is it possible?
> Is something better than gdb or gdb/ddd for debugging thread enabled
> applications?

Yes, the --without-thread switch is the right way to configure pandora
without thread support. The error you have encountered is just a plain bug
I am going to fix this morning. However, this switch is provided for
performance reasons (if you do not need several stacks to run
concurrently, it is much faster to remove thread support), not debug. If
you need to debug a component the easiest way to do it is to use a trace
file (so that the behaviuour is reproducible) and use the '-s' switch of
pandora. With this, no other threads are created unless absolute
necessity. Finally, I am not aware of better debugging software than gdb,
at least on Intel platforms.

Simon