pandora-users

Re: [Pandora] offtopic: libpcap performance

From: uaca
Subject: Re: [Pandora] offtopic: libpcap performance
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:51:27 +0100

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 11:13:08PM +0100, Simon Patarin wrote:

Hi

> Hi,
>
> > do you know docs/whatever good info about packet capturing using libpcap
> > with different platforms?
>
> No, not really. All i can tell you about is my own experience.

By the way, using original libpcap (in this case 0.7)... did you noticed
that:

        that if you do not make a pcap_stats just before the last pcap_read
        almost all packets are droped (reported as kernel drops)?

        For example, reading a 9000 packets/sec snaplen 68 bytes 10 secons
        if you inmediatly call pcap_stats() you do not get dropped packets,
        but if after the last packet_read() you nanosleep(50ms), all packets
        are droped, so stats are bogus :-\

Ulisses

                Debian GNU/Linux: a dream come true
"Computers are useless. They can only give answers."            Pablo Picasso

--->    Visita http://www.valux.org/ para saber acerca de la    <---
--->    AsociaciĆ³n Valenciana de Usuarios de Linux              <---