pandora-users

[Pandora] about MMAP_PACKET and drops

From: uaca
Subject: [Pandora] about MMAP_PACKET and drops
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 20:09:20 +0100

Hi Simon

please, see the following log, it's about drops

pcap: Trying enough memory for 41943040 bytes
pcap: Got memory for 41943040 bytes
tcpdump: listening on atm0

54097 packets received by filter
1085 packets dropped by kernel
1781 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel
1776 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel
1455 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel
1421 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel

I have repeated this test several times all times with the same results

I describe the test:

I modified your lib to get 40MB of buffer (ct= ct*10), this is for making
sure I have enogh space to buffer 1 second at interface data rate

and then I make the same test I described in the text I sent to you:

sleep 10 seconds, then

kill -INT

        got:

        54097 packets received by filter
        1085 packets dropped by kernel

nanosleep 250ms, kill -INT again

        got:

        1781 packets received by filter
        0 packets dropped by kernel

nanosleep 250ms again, kill -INT

        got:

        1776 packets received by filter
        0 packets dropped by kernel

nanosleep 250ms again, kill -INT

        got:

        1455 packets received by filter
        0 packets dropped by kernel

nanosleep 250ms again, kill -INT

        got:

        1421 packets received by filter
        0 packets dropped by kernel

The tests were made using tcpdump, without calling the callback function.
(that prints everything)

any clue what the initial drops? It shouldn't be there

        Ulisses

                Debian GNU/Linux: a dream come true
"Computers are useless. They can only give answers."            Pablo Picasso

--->    Visita http://www.valux.org/ para saber acerca de la    <---
--->    AsociaciĆ³n Valenciana de Usuarios de Linux              <---