RE: [paragui-users] OpenGL & SDL

From: Dinand Vanvelzen
Subject: RE: [paragui-users] OpenGL & SDL
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:46:52 +0200

I didn't do the test myself.
Some people on a gamedev board... think I was flipcode but unsure did it
and made a few stupid mistakes in their "test". That's what I was
referring to.
OpenGL is faster with just simple logic. Software rendering can never be
as fast as hardware since there are to many generic processes. And since
there's not much more speed advantages to be gained in further
optimizing blitting ect. They are both about equal in that plain but
then hardware accel. kicks in and OpenGL takes off like a rocket. So
OpenGL will be equally fast or faster then 99.9% of the pure SDL apps
IMHO.
You are quite welcome to test this and I'm 100% sure you will come to
the same result.
I know there are people that tested it and came to this conclusion which
is a logical one all things considered.

DV.