Parallel Enhancement request.

From: Mike Rochford
Subject: Parallel Enhancement request.
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:59:48 -0600

I have a  need to run a single command or script on many machines in a very large environment (>10k hosts.) Please consider adding this option to the parallel command. Below is an example of running a simple command.

cat hostlist | parallel -j 25 "ssh -l root {} uptime"

Options we are looking for in the addition:

- New option to execute a command/script on list of hosts provided via filename or piped into the command

- Option to specify how many hosts command/script should be sent to at a time {i.e. only run on 25 hosts at a time for 1000 servers}

- Option to timeout the command after nnn seconds {i.e. Host is not responding}

- Option to specify username to use on target host

- Option to specify a “options” file – This will have one option per line

- Display status optionally while running

- Output related:

   - the output from command/script should all accumulated in a single file

   - Each line of output should have “hostname:” prefixed to all the lines

   - Output should be sorted by hostname

   - Hosts that didn’t respond should be provided in a separate file

If you need any clarification please contact me.

Thank you,

Mike Rochford.