Re: How to use scp using parallel by tyoing password only once

From: Hans Schou
Subject: Re: How to use scp using parallel by tyoing password only once
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 23:12:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Shantanu Unknown wrote:

I think the problem is clear, I have a bunch of files in a file which I want to scp using parallel. But when I do that it asks for a password evertime I want to do scp? So it possible t o invoke scp with gnu parallel and with only 1 instance of typing password?

Yes. Copy your ~/.ssh/id.pub to the server ~/.ssh/authorized_keys - it is done with this command:
  ssh-copy-id joe@example.com

then you will not be asked for a password, just as usual:
  ssh joe@example.com

You might want to have a pass-phrase on your local ~/.ssh/id and then use 'ssh-add' once when you boot your local machine, and you will only have to type your pass-phrase once every boot.

Maybe this should go into the parallel man page.

/hans
--
Horsebakken 78, DK-2400 København NV