Parallel a script

From: yacob sen
Subject: Parallel a script
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:23:30 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,

I have a small script that feeds a file name to a program and then the program start to run once it gets the file name and output the results in the directory that runs.  I have ubuntu 10.04 laptop with 64 bit with 4 cores. I want to parallel the script so that it can run at once at least in four of the processes and continue once those jobs are finished. I have at least 30 files in a given month.

The script is simple and it looks like this:

for file in  *.a
do

prog -i $file -type s

done

Here the executable program "prog" needs the file name as input after the "-i" option. I do not have also control  over the output files. It output the results in the directory I run.

Is it possible to use gnu parallel for this type of jobs.

Kind regards
Yacob