Re: parallel a script - new

From: Matt Oates (Home)
Subject: Re: parallel a script - new
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 14:34:29 +0100

On 25 June 2011 17:31, yacob sen <yacob_123@yahoo.com> wrote:
> for file in  *.a
> do
> prog -i $file -type s
> done

What you want would be done with:   ls *.a | parallel prog -i {} -type s

> Here the executable program "prog" needs the file name as input after the
> "-i" option. I do not have also control  over the output files. the prog
> program outputs the result in the directory I run.
> Is it possible to use GNU parallel for this type of jobs.  I figured out that
> it is easy to pass the file name but find it it difficult to pass the date
> extracting from the filename the program.

This doesn't make much sense you need to tell us a bit more
background. What date? Why? Are you wanting to use parallel over many
hosts on a network, why is it important that the output files aren't
controlled by you??? Parallel runs commands in a similar way to how
you might with ssh. It doesn't require you to specify a special output
file, and STDOUT comes out how you might expect.

Best,
Matt.