Re: Question on piping commands from stdin atop 20110822

From: Jay Hacker
Subject: Re: Question on piping commands from stdin atop 20110822
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 14:27:36 -0400

Rhys,

If you use ::: then parallel doesn't read commands from stdin (the
first process gets stdin).

The idiomatic way to do it is:

cat <<HERE | parallel echo
foo
bar
baz
HERE

Otherwise, if you don't give parallel any command as an argument, you
need to give it whole commands on stdin:

cat <<HERE | parallel
echo foo
echo bar
echo baz