Re: Working directories on remote machines

From: Srikanth R Madikeri
Subject: Re: Working directories on remote machines
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:37:22 +0530

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Hans Schou <chlor@schou.dk> wrote:

This might be what you really want:
$ parallel --colsep '\t' echo "ssh {1} ls {2}" < mylist
ssh foo.example.com ls /home/joe
ssh bar.example.com ls /home/jane

Unfortunately, if I do this, parallel wont be able to manage
the cores across several machines. I also feel that my problem
is not completely clear to you. So let me try to explain it again:
Say I have do run the executable foobar on several remote machines.
I could used -S :,remote1,remote2,..,remoteN option. But the working
directories in each remote (1 to N) are different. In my case, N is 4.
But -W takes only one value.

According to your example, I could just ssh by providing a list. But
that will use only one core on each remote. To use more, I have to give
several of them. But there is no way to know if the previously started
jobs have finished.

Thank you,
Srikanth