ENHANCEMENT: using the header from a delimited file

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: ENHANCEMENT: using the header from a delimited file
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:35:14 -0600

Is there any hope of supporting the use of the symbolic replacement string that
referred to column names taken from the header line of an input file.

If supported, say with new option --header, you could provide a new example,
such as

EXAMPLE: Use a table as input USING SYMBOLIC REPLACEMENT STRINGS

       Content of table_file.tsv:

         f1<TAB>f2
         foo<TAB>bar
         baz <TAB> quux

       To run:

         cmd -o bar -i foo
         cmd -o quux -i baz

       you can run:

       parallel -a table_file.tsv --header --colsep '\t' cmd -o {f1} -i {f2}

I'm sure there are lots of complications (duplicate names in header, odd
character encoding), and perhaps the need is best met through piping input
through `sed` or `perl`.

I am interested in your perspective.  I expect you've already thought about it
and perhaps rejected it....

Best,

Malcolm Cook
Computational Biology - Stowers Institute for Medical Research