Re: Is there any advantage to turning the following rsync cmd into a par

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Is there any advantage to turning the following rsync cmd into a parallel cmd?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 14:22:25 +0700

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Alex Muir <alex.g.muir@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created a nice script with parallel and then I use rsync to
> return output files which are various files, html and zip in several
> different directories. My client is wondering if the rsync aspect at
> the end can be done with parallel and if there would be an benefit to
> doing that and insisted I ask about it.
>
> Looking at the documentation I saw the one can --return files that
> were used as input files as well as create another command to return
> files generally. It was not clear to me though if one could return
> directories recursively as I do with the below rsync commands.

I never tried before today, but it seems to work just fine:

parallel -S localhost --trc {.}  'mkdir {.}; cp {}  {.}/abc{}' ::: a.b c.d e.f
parallel -S localhost --trc a{.}  'mkdir a{.}; cp {}  a{.}/abc{}' :::
a.b c.d e.f
parallel -S localhost --trc {.}  'mkdir {.}; cp {}  {.}/abc{}' ::: a.1 a.2 a.3

The last will complain that the dir 'a' already exists, but will work fine.

/Ole