Re: job race!

From: Ozgur Akgun
Subject: Re: job race!
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:25:05 +0100

Hans,

On 24 April 2013 07:28, Hans Schou <chlor@schou.dk> wrote:
Use --joblog to get the execution time and after each job-line running jobs.txt add " ; killall racejobs ".

Does this make sence?

I don't think I understand this. Say we have the following job-list.

$ cat jobs.txt
sleep 2 ; echo 2 # job 1
sleep 7 ; echo 7 # job 2
sleep 3; echo 3 # job 3

I run `parallel --timeout 4`, I get 1 and 3 in the output, and the no output for job2.

I want to be able to say, something like `parallel --timeout (fastest * 2)` and let get the same output.

If I add " ; killall racejobs" after every job, will they not just die unconditionally after the fastest one?
Maybe you mean, "; sleep X ; killall racejobs", but my problem is not knowing what X is in the first place!

Irrespective, I don't even know what would go in place of 'racejobs' in the above. Excuse my bash-fu isn't up to the task.

Thanks,

--
Ozgur Akgun