Re: tcgetattr: Invalid argument

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: tcgetattr: Invalid argument
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 11:41:35 +0200

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Fratkin, Allyn <allyn@hp.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the error is specific to Red Hat?  I reproduced it with remote hosts
> running RHEL 5.2, 5.8, 6.3.  The local host is RHEL 5.8.
>
> ANY invocation of stty, even without arguments, provokes the "tcgetattr:
> Invalid argument" error message.
>
> [afratkin@vl001 src]$ echo hello | ssh -tt -oLogLevel=quiet g4t0930c stty |
> cat # RHEL 5.2
> tcgetattr: Invalid argument

I do not have access to RHEL 5.2, but I do have an RHEL 5.6 machine.
It does not complain when I run:

echo hello | ssh -tt -oLogLevel=quiet redhat56 stty | cat

Can you reproduce it on a clean RHEL? Or even better: reproduce it on
a machine of which you are allowed to distribute an image?

Which of these give the 'tcgetattr' error:

echo hello | ssh -tt -oLogLevel=quiet g4t0930c stty | cat
echo hello | ssh -tt -oLogLevel=quiet g4t0930c cat | cat
echo hello | ssh -oLogLevel=quiet g4t0930c cat | cat
echo hello | ssh g4t0930c cat | cat
echo hello | ssh -t -oLogLevel=quiet g4t0930c cat | cat
echo hello | ssh -T -oLogLevel=quiet g4t0930c cat | cat
[... feel free to invent more combinations here ...]

I have the feeling that it is not stty that is causing the problem,
but rather the -tt. And if we can narrow it down to that, then maybe
we can find a solution that works for you, too.

/Ole