Re: How to disable SIGTERM

From: Martin d'Anjou
Subject: Re: How to disable SIGTERM
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 18:56:58 -0400

Hello Ole,

I worked on the SIGTERM propagation feature today. I have questions, the questions are also in the code in the form of comments, if you prefer to read them there (search for "Question"):
https://github.com/martinda/gnu-parallel/compare/sigterm-1?expand=1#diff-5379ba718ef5b0a2feb45981e768a9fd

Q1:
Inside sub wait_and_exit, job->kill(TERM") is called twice. As I am trying to update the documentation, I find this complex to explain.
Do you know why the call is made twice?
Should I write my own "wait_and_exit" for the SIGTERM propagation feature?

Q2:
I have added a [--wait-for-children [GRACE_PERIOD]] option for the user to extend the grace period of $sleepsum in case the user is dealing with processes that are long to "put to rest". My question: should this option be available in general, or just for the propagation feature?

Q3:
Still in the wait_and_exit subroutine, the grace period is "ANDed" with the family_pids[0].
Why just the 0'th element? Why not the entire array?

Q4:
My other questions are about how to integrate my test with the existing suite of tests and how to run them all.

I welcome comments, suggestions, feedback, etc..

Thanks in advance,
Martin