Re: New behavior proposal --halt -% with job killing

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: New behavior proposal --halt -% with job killing
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 13:34:48 +0200

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Ole Tange <ole@tange.dk> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Rasmus Villemoes <rv@rasmusvillemoes.dk>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 25 2015, Ole Tange <ole@tange.dk> wrote:
>>
>>> How about:
>>>
>>>   --halt 2,25% == --halt 25%,2
> :
>> While at it, it would probably be nice to avoid the magic numbers
>> (though they'd probably need to stick around for
>> compatibility). Something like
>>
>> --halt on-fail,25%,no-cleanup (aka --halt 2,25%)
>> --halt on-success,50%,cleanup (aka --halt -1,50%)
>> --halt on-fail,cleanup (aka --halt 1)
>> --halt never (aka --halt 0)

Something like this:

--halt now,fail,25% (aka --halt 2,25%)
--halt soon,success,50% (aka --halt -1,50%)
--halt soon,fail (aka --halt 1)
--halt never (aka --halt 0)
--halt soon,success,10 (I just need 10 to complete succcessfully)

--halt when[,why][,pct][,num]

when,why:
  never,fail:
  0:             Do not halt if a job fails. Exit status will be the
number of jobs failed. This is the default.

  never,success:
                  Do not halt if a job succeeds. Exit status will be
the number of jobs succeeded.

  soon,fail:
  1:             Do not start new jobs if a job fails, but complete
the running jobs including cleanup. The exit status will be the exit
status from the last failing job.

  soon,success:
  -1:            Do not start new jobs if a job succeeds, but complete
the running jobs including cleanup. The exit status will be the exit
status from the last failing job (if any)

  now,fail:
  2:             Kill off all jobs immediately when a job fails and
exit without cleanup. The exit status will be the exit status from the
failing job.

  now,success:
  -2:             Kill off all jobs immediately when a job succeeds
and exit without cleanup. The exit status will be the exit status from
the last failing job (if any).

'when' defaults to never. 'why' defaults to fail.

num:
  >=3:         Do not look at a single job but at this number of jobs
before halting.

pct:
  0%:           Only look at a single job. This is the default.
  1-99%:      Do not look at a single job but at a percentage of all
jobs before halting. At least 3 jobs will always be run.

/Ole