Which exit code should --halt give?

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Which exit code should --halt give?
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 12:26:54 +0200

I have given much thought into the exit code of --halt 0 (i.e. --halt
never), namely the number of failed jobs. I still believe that is the
useful thing to return.

I have given some thought into the exit code of --halt 1/--halt 2
(i.e. --halt soon,fail=1/--halt now,fail=1), namely the exit code of
the failing job. I think this is useful, too.

I am, however, not sure what the useful exit code should be for:

--halt soon,success=1 == --halt -1
--halt now,success=1 == --halt -2
--halt soon,fail=XX% == --halt XX%
--halt now,fail=XX%
--halt soon,success=X (X>1)
--halt now,success=X (X>1)
--halt soon,fail=X (X>1)
--halt now,fail=X (X>1)
--halt soon,success=XX%
--halt now,success=XX%

Please give your input on what the exit code should be in each
instance and justify why it would be useful with a scenario in which
you see it could be used.

/Ole