Beginner's questions

From: Rory Molinari
Subject: Beginner's questions
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 11:15:16 -0400

Hello,

I have only recently discovered parallel and wish I had found it years ago.  Thanks for such a great tool, Ole!  Mange tak!

I have a couple of questions from my reading of the tutorial ('man parallel_tutorial').

$ parallel --version
GNU parallel 20150722

Q1.
Around line 420 there is this in the discussion of Perl _expression_ replacement strings:

       If the short hand starts with '{' it can be used as a positional replacement string, too:

         parallel --rpl '{..} s:\.[^.]+$::;s:\.[^.]+$::;' echo '{..}' ::: foo.tar.gz

Positional replacement strings like {2} aren't introduced until the next section.  What is the advantage in using this replacement string as '{..}' rather than '..' ?

(BTW, "short hand" as two words looks strange to me.  I would write "shorthand".  As two words it implies an actual human hand that is shorter than normal, at least to me!)

Q2.
Around line 1595 we have an example of records with multiple lines:

       If a record is 75 lines -L can be used:

         cat num1000000 | parallel --pipe -L75 wc

       Output (the order may be different):

         165600  165600 1048095
         149850  149850 1048950
         149775  149775 1048425
         149775  149775 1048425
         149850  149850 1048950
         149775  149775 1048425
          85350   85350  597450
             25      25     176

We see that 6 processes got the default block of 1 MB or so, a seventh got most of the remainder, and an eight got a tiny scrap.  Why was there an eighth process?  In other words, why didn't the seventh process get all of the rest?  Is the reason simply that the seventh process stopped receiving input with the end of the last full record, and the eighth got the partial record that was left over?

- Rory Molinari