expected behavior of --results with -n0

From: Joel Uckelman
Subject: expected behavior of --results with -n0
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 15:15:22 +0200

When I run this:

  seq 3 | parallel --results a echo

parallel writes me a directory tree like this:

  [uckelman@scylla tmp]$ tree a
  └── 1
      ├── 1
      │   ├── seq
      │   ├── stderr
      │   └── stdout
      ├── 2
      │   ├── seq
      │   ├── stderr
      │   └── stdout
      └── 3
          ├── seq
          ├── stderr
          └── stdout

This looks like what the man page says should happen.

When I run this:

  seq 3 | parallel --results b -n0 echo hey

parallel writes me a directory tree like this:

  [uckelman@scylla tmp]$ tree b
  └── 1
      └── \\0
          ├── seq
          ├── stderr
          └── stdout

The output I see on stdout is "hey" three times, so the command echo was
clearly run the number of times it should have been---but a results
directory was created only for the first invocation. Shouldn't there
be three results directories?

This is with version 20160222.

Is this a bug? If not, what am I doing wrong here?

--
J.