Re: Uses of GNU Parallel

From: Prince Sibanda
Subject: Re: Uses of GNU Parallel
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 07:46:03 +0200

So i have several programs to pipe together, where each program in the pipe could optionally run in parallel. I would like an extension where GNU Parallel is able to read a user supplied file in which one can specify a list of programs to run at each pipe stage, and qualify the data that moves through the pipe. I would also like to  have GNU Parallel be interactive so that once it has started running, i could issue commands to leave out certain files or to bypass certain programs in the pipe. This is the most basic version of the extension

Regards,

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Hans Schou <chlor@schou.dk> wrote:
oups, I forgot CC the list.

> Thanks for the information. I ask because we are contemplating extending the GNU Parallel for the processing we would like to do.

"extending"? Usually people just ask here for modifications and if it generally fit within the GNU Parallel scope you will probably get it with the next release.

If your extension is very specific there will often be a way where this can be a parameter to GNU Parallel.

What kind of extension do you have in mind?

> The standard GNU Parallel available on my package manager is great for some things but with some minor modifications it could be just perfect.

> Would there be any licensing restrictions to modifying GNU Parallel and possibly publishing the modifications free for anyone to use?

The restrictions is just what GPLv3 is. Nothing special. Just go ahead and modify.

> Is all of GNU Parallel written in Perl?

Yes. It is actually just one file: /usr/bin/parallel
Copy that file to another computer with Perl and it is working.

./hans

Thanks for the information. I ask because we are contemplating extending the GNU Parallel for the processing we would like to do. The standard GNU Parallel available on my package manager is great for some things but with some minor modifications it could be just perfect.
Would there be any licensing restrictions to modifying GNU Parallel and possibly publishing the modifications free for anyone to use?
Is all of GNU Parallel written in Perl?

Regards,
Prince