Re: ssh GSSAPI authentication issue

From: Joe Sapp
Subject: Re: ssh GSSAPI authentication issue
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 20:20:50 -0400

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Ole Tange <ole@tange.dk> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Joe Sapp <sappj@ieee.org> wrote:
> :
>> I haven't been able to reproduce in a VirtualBox yet, but I did some
>> more testing.  It appears that an environment variable is not being
>> passed on completely.
>>
>> This will now work:
>>   seq 10 | parallel --ssh "env KRB5CCNAME=${KRB5CCNAME} ssh -vvv"
>> --sshlogin :,$SERVER --load 75% echo
>
> Is KRB5CCNAME exported?
>
> Try:
>
> parallel echo '${}' ::: KRB5CCNAME
> export KRB5CCNAME
> parallel echo '${}' ::: KRB5CCNAME
> seq 10 | parallel --sshlogin :,$SERVER --load 75% echo
>
> If KRB5CCNAME is needed for ssh, then if it is not exported that would
> explain all you see.
>
> Variables transferred using env_parallel are not set when ssh starts.
> They are being set on the remote system after ssh has logged in, so if
> ssh needs some variables they will have to be exported.

KRB5CCNAME does appear to be exported.
I tried those commands on a fresh login:

$ parallel echo '${}' ::: KRB5CCNAME
FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_1340800210_gCtHh22946
$ export KRB5CCNAME
$ parallel echo '${}' ::: KRB5CCNAME
FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_1340800210_gCtHh22946

And the last one still prompts for authentication, just as it does
when I `unset KRB5CCNAME`.  If I insert my --ssh "..." hack, the last
line you suggested works as expected.

Just to be clear, I am not using env_parallel as I did in my first
email.  That was a typo when I was trying to figure out if I was using
parallel incorrectly.  Thanks for pointing out that it passes the
local environment on to the remote server.  I thought that was the
case based on the tutorial, but I wanted to eliminate that as a
possible solution.

--
Thanks,
Joe