Re: Parallel is having trouble handling quotes for unicode characters

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Parallel is having trouble handling quotes for unicode characters
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 19:17:32 +0200

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Glen Huang <heyhgl@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I think I just found another strange case:
>
> parallel echo 芦港 ::: foo
>
> fails with "parallel: Error: Command cannot contain the character ?. Use a
> function for that."
>
> in which case I didn't quote anything.

As you probably are aware unicode characters are multibyte characters.
GNU Parallel internally uses \257 for placeholder of replacement
strings.

Outside unicode \257 is rarely (if ever) used on the command line.

In theory it _is_ possible to make GNU Parallel deal correctly with
all characters, but so far no one has submitted a patch or been
willing to pay for the development.

The workaround (as GNU Parallel tells you) is to use a function:

myecho() {
    echo 芦港 "$@"
}
export -f myecho