Re: Tutorial length

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Tutorial length
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 03:01:28 +0100

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 2:47 AM, Gilles LAMIRAL
<gilles.lamiral@laposte.net> wrote:

> The beginning of the tutorial advises to "Spend an hour walking through the
> tutorial". Well, it took me 3 hours to just reach half of it and I didn't run
> the
> "complex" examples

Yeah, hmm, well I believe it *did* take 1 hour in the first revision -
but it has sort of grown since then :)

> I suggest the tutorial could be split in two parts, one basic, really read
> and understood in one hour by a beginner, and one advanced containing
> everything else, maybe titled as a cookbook.

So I have started writing the 'GNU Parallel 2018'-book. The first
version I tried doing as you suggest, but it really did not work well
for me: Depending on your situation you need to dive deep into one
concept without having to know much about the other concepts (e.g.
maybe outputting to CSV is key for you, but the rest of the default
settings are fine).

The concepts hardly overlap, thus it will make perfect sense to be an
expert in output-options without knowing more than the basics about
remote execution.

So instead I have tried dividing the book in parallel: So each section
has all information in all details, but the margin has a legend that
tells you how advanced the paragraph is. Thus you are encouraged to
skip to the next paragraph at your reader level.

The book is heavily based on parallel_tutorial.

I welcome reader's feedback on it. I have uploaded the current
(extremely incomplete) draft at
https:://hushfile.it/5a56c3d63d853#nDpLjkqxFB_K3SKjgIm6BBpLuzjOFY_Yfw6mfx0W
Open in LibreOffice.

Most important feed back would be: Does this marking of the reader
level in the margin work?

/Ole