Re: Testing firewall ports with parallel

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Testing firewall ports with parallel
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 05:51:28 +0100

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 6:55 PM, Divan Santana <divan@santanas.co.za> wrote:

> Like a lot of GNU software parallel is awesome.

Thanks.

:
>       [cloud-ec.amp.cisco.com]='443 32137'

It seems you can run:

  nc -w 2 -vz cloud-ec.amp.cisco.com 443 32137

So if you do not need to parallelize on the ports then doing this
should be fine:

mylist.txt:
cloud-ec.amp.cisco.com 443 32137
console.amp.cisco.com 443

run_on_servers.txt:
myserver1
myserver2

cat mylist.txt | parallel --slf run_on_servers.txt --onall eval nc -w 2 -vz

The 'eval' is needed because GNU Parallel quotes arguments, so they
are seen as a single argument even if they contain spaces. This is
typically what you want if you pass it filenames with spaces or
similar. However, today we really want the spaces in the input value
split the input. 'eval' de-quotes one level.

> Also, ideally I could use parallel to do the above test in parallel on
> multiple hosts.

The above should run all the test on all servers.

/Ole